BetweenLibraryShelves

Between Library Shelves

The Offering (The Pledge, #3)

Author:Kimberly Derting

Format: Hardcover pp. 304

Genre:Young Adult

Category: Fantasy

[Synopsis: Goodreads]

True love—and world war—is at stake in the conclusion to The Pledge trilogy, a dark and romantic blend of dystopia and fantasy. Charlie, otherwise known as Queen Charlaina of Ludania, has become comfortable as a leader and a ruler. She’s done admirable work to restore Ludania’s broken communications systems with other Queendoms, and she’s mastered the art of ignoring Sabara, the evil former queen whose Essence is alive within Charlie. Or so she thinks. When the negotiation of a peace agreement with the Queendom of Astonia goes awry, Charlie receives a brutal message that threatens Ludania, and it seems her only option is to sacrifice herself in exchange for Ludanian freedom. But things aren’t always as they seem. Charlie is walking into a trap—one set by Sabara, who is determined to reclaim the Queendoms at any cost.

[Review]

The Offering was slow in the beginning of the book and I was completely confused, but I was already invested in the characters: Charlaina (Charlie), Brooklyn (Brook), the evil queen, Sabara and all the others that I wanted to know their outcomes in the series so I pushed through my confusion and kept reading.

Then in the middle of the book everything became clear, the story began to develop and the action ensued! I was hooked for the rest of the story and the ending was tied up nicely. I think the highlight of The Offering was how all the supporting characters became more fleshed out and their stories were more fascinating than in the previous books.

Favorite Character(s): A tie between Casper & Sage.  Both were supporting characters and their courage to fight for what they believed to be the right thing in not so perfect situations made them compelling and irresistibly magnetic in the story. They drew me into their stories and I wanted them to both get what they rightfully deserved.