BetweenLibraryShelves

Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children

Genre: Young Adult/High Fantasy

pages combined: 1,386

Series Review:

"I like music," she said slowly, "because when I hear it, I...I lose myself within myself, if that makes sense, I become empty and full all at once, and I can feel the whole earth roiling around me. When I play, I'm not...for once, I'm not destroying. I'm creating."

Throne of Glass, is our introduction to building a intricate world where we meet Celaena Sardothien, the Adarlan assassin. A ruthless, manipulative and confident character that is determined to not forget who she is. Throne of Glass, begins with Celaena being a slave in the Endovier mines where she ends up after being betrayed and captured. Celaena refuses to be broken and controlled while enslaved here, We capture the character's self reliance and pride in the beginning of the story. Soon she is being released into the custody of Prince Dorian of Adarlan and the Captain of the Guard, Chaol Westfall on the premise that she will be the Prince's champion in his father's competition. The end result if she wins the competition is to be the champion for so many years and then receive her "freedom." This is the story that we think we will fall in love with.

The story I fell in love with that made me want to devour the series was the story of Celaena and her love of knowledge, determination to prove herself in the competition, her curiosity that got her in more predicaments than one would think possible, the friendships that she excepted and grew to rely on and lastly, her vulnerability and growth as a character throughout the series.

Crown of Midnight, continues with solid consistency from where Throne of Glass left off. We find that Celaena Sardothien proved herself and became the King's champion and now is carrying out her role as the King's death dealer basically. The friendships and relationships she established in Throne of Glass have now been more defined as who fits in what roles in her life. And she finds herself in a quest to find out how the King is gaining so much power in so little time. She has been given insight through the spirit of Queen Elena, as to how the King ripped magic from the continent but is somehow obtaining great power with some sort of dark magic and it has been quested to Celaena to find out how this is so. Remember where I mentioned her curiosity got her in more predicaments than one would think possible, this is one of those. Also, in Crown of Midnight the love story I wanting so bad to develop in Throne of Glass finally happens, and we see that vulnerability becomes the forefront of all the good and bad that happens in this book and starting with that relationship specifically and we see Celaena grow into the character that becomes this fierce and passionate hero. By the end of the Crown of Midnight, Celaena has revealed who she really is, the person she has buried deep in the depths of her soul, denied love, found regret, and has lost and been betrayed by the one friend she felt she could truly trust.  Celaena's brokenness and heartache is what makes the third book so RAW and beautiful and so far my favorite of the three in the series.

Heir of Fire, is where we find out who Celaena Sardothien really is and how she has been hidden from the world all this time and probably for good reason. Heir of Fire, is the book that will make you feel every raw and vulnerable emotion you think you can muster while reading a story will happen while reading Heir of Fire. I do not cry while reading books much, but I found myself teary eyed too many times in this book alone.

The Throne of Glass series gave me a new heroine to love!

Favorite supporting characters: Chaol and Princess Nehemia: both loved Celaena, but both had a hard time accepting her true nature or her lack of stance on causes. Both these characters played significant roles in shaping who Celaena wanted to be and who she becomes.

Surprised likable character: Manon the Blackbeak witches heir. She was cruel and horrible and then their was this softness that seemed weirdly out of place but also, seemed perfectly situated in the plot thickens aspect of the story. I am curious to see how her role will develop in the coming novels.

Source: http://betweenlibraryshelves.blogspot.de/2015/01/series-review-throne-of-glass-series-1-3.html