BetweenLibraryShelves

Publisher: Spencer Hill Press

Format: Paperback pp. 328

Young Adult/Fantasy

[Synopsis: back of book]

Magic haunts her... Raised by a old fortune-teller within the dark veil of the Bavarian Black Forest, Rune has learned two valuable lessons: only take from the forest that which you can use, and never, never look anyone in the eye in the village. For something terrible happened in the forest a long time ago.... and now, the whispers of a long-dead mother with a vengeful secret have some haunting.

[Review]

I read a lot about the novel Forest of Whispers and was so intrigued to read it, especially with my recent move to Germany. Forest of Whispers takes place in the Black Forest in Bavaria, Germany. The story dates back to 1627, where the story portrays a time when accusations and assumptions of peoples' intentions (especially women) were questioned. A time when religious leaders had too much say in politics of the land and who lived and died because of how one chose to live their lives. The unexpected part of Forest of Whispers is that it is told in two points of view and where that is sometimes hard to follow, I have to say author Jennifer Murgia did a wonderful job in this story. I really enjoyed this novel. The twists and turns kept you guessing what this was all about, who is in the wrong and who is in the right? The author wrote with such great imagery that there were times I was too spooked to turn to the next page. Rune, the main character was timid in the beginning of the story but grew as the story unfolded and  became a girl that one had to admire in that she had every adversity against her and yet she persevered with knowledge, strength and emotional stamina to find the truth and set herself free and the truth itself so that those in the village could not be afraid of her home, the Black Forest and let them understand that things that can't be understood or explained are not always evil, sometimes there is more to the story....

and yes there is more to the story....pick it up and begin reading it soon.